Oil painting of St Nicolas’ Church by Majorie Heather (1904-1989). Marjorie Heather was born in Newbury and attended Newbury Girls’ High School. She was the daughter of Arthur and Kate Heather of Heather Stores in Bartholomew Street. As a mature student she studied at the Ruskin School of Drawing at Oxford from 1945 to 1948 where she obtained her Certificate of Fine Art. She then studied for a further two years at Byam Shaw School in London. As a student she attended the inaugural meeting of Newbury Art Group in 1947. She served as Secretary from 1963 to 1976 and as President from 1977 to 1980. She was also a member of the Bussock Mayne Group and Reading Guild of Artists. She lived with her sister, Winifred Mabel Harrod Heather in the family home in Tydehams, off the Andover Road.
Period: 20th Century