Trowel presented to James Benjamin Stone, Mayor of Newbury, for laying the foundation stone of the Borough of Newbury Gas Works on June 5th 1880. The new Gas Works were constructed in 1880-81, after the borough of Newbury Corporation purchased the Newbury Gas operations. Newbury’s first Gas Works was located in Gashouse Road, near to Cheap Street and closed due to the construction of the new site.
Further information about this site is available on the HER: www.heritagegateway.org.uk/Gateway/Results_Single.aspx?uid=MWB10661&resourceID=1030
HER – The Historic Environment Record (HER) is a register of all known archaeological and historical sites in the unitary authority of West Berkshire.
Period: Late 19th century