This engraving of St Lawrence’s Church, Hugerford, was produced by the engraver John Grieg. It was based on a watercolour by Samuel Prout who held the position of Painter in Water-Colours in Ordinary to both King George IV and Queen Victoria. The image shows the church’s original tower that by 1810 was starting to collapse requiring the tower and many other parts of the church to be rebuilt. The work of rebuilding the church was carried out by the architect John Pinch the Elder and was completed in 1816.
Print engraving of St Lawrence’s Church Hungerford 1811
Other items in the collection
A flake of flint from Benham Hill, Thatcham. It shows starch fractures that occur naturally from a freeze-thaw cycle, which can look as though…
A Common Snipe, or ‘Gallinago’, mounted in a glass case on replica landscape of stone and gravel.
An oval iron plate with inscription ‘COTTRELL & Co, No. 311, THE “CLIMAX”, HAY, CORN AND STRAW ELEVATOR, EDDINGTON IRONWORKS HUNGERFORD BERKS’.