Wooden truncheons were issued to parish constables who acted as local police before the introduction of a professional police service. The tip of this truncheon has a crown and the letters “WR IV” painted in yellow. The placement of these on the tip is in reference to the ends of tip staffs, when the end of the staff were often designed to look like a crown. The letters “WR IV” means that this truncheon was issued during the reign of William IV who was the King of Great Britain between 1830-1837.
The fossils of West Berkshire show us clearly that the countryside was once an ocean.