“Samco eye irrigator with box. The set contains two metal eye pieces and two glass irrigators. This was used at either Newbury District Hospital or Sandleford Hospital.
By the end of the 20th century, The West Berkshire Priority Care Service NHS Trust ran two small hospitals in Newbury; Newbury District Hospital and Sandleford Hospital. In both hospitals a wide range of community health services were provided. It was long debated that a new hospital should be built in Newbury with facilities appropriate for modern demands. In 2004 West Berkshire Community Hospital opened to replace the services provided by the existing two. Historic objects from both Newbury District Hospital and Sandleford Hospital were donated to West Berkshire Museum when they closed. Items included uniforms, medical equipment and signage.
Newbury District Hospital was located in Andover Road, Newbury and was built in 1884 to meet the medical needs of the people of Newbury and Newbury Rural District. The hospital originally housed 12 patients, but various additions were made form 1894 onwards, with a major building programme in 1936-7. In 1948 the hospital was taken over by the newly formed National Health Service, although it continued to accept private patients.
Sandleford hospital was established in 1948 using the original building of the former Newbury Union Workhouse. Over the years it provided many services, however these declined towards the end of the 20th century in expectation of a new hospital. In the late 1990s the hospital was used primarily to care for elderly patients, for rehabilitation or with mental health problems. The Charles Clore Macmillan day unit supported cancer patients and those who had life-threatening illnesses.”
Period: 20th century