A wood-turned bowl made by George Lailey in 1943. “G. W. Lailey June 26 1943” is marked on base in pencil. George Lailey was the third generation of the Lailey family to work as bowl turners on Bucklebury Common. George took over the family business when his father died in 1912. His mother helped him to cut the logs to be worked with a cross cut saw. During the First World War all his employees left him. George was exempt from military service because he made ladles for munitions factories. After the war George worked alone and went back to making bowls and candlesticks on his traditional pole lathe.
Period: 20th century