An important local archaeological society in the mid 20th century was that of St Bartholomew’s Grammar School in Newbury. Under the direction of teacher Douglas Connah, a rescue excavation was carried out at Kintbury Sewage Works, revealing the ground plan of a 4th century AD bath house. It had a hypocaust (underfloor heating system), evidence of a mosaic floor and walls decorated with painted plaster. The small rectangular building was not joined to a larger structure, but is still assumed to have been part of a Roman villa complex.
Further information about the archaeological site is available on the HER: www.heritagegateway.org.uk/Gateway/Results_Single.aspx?uid=MWB3830&resourceID=1030
HER – The Historic Environment Record (HER) is a register of all known archaeological and historical sites in the unitary authority of West Berkshire.
Period: AD 43-410